Do what you love. Follow your dreams. Turn your passion into a paycheck.
Sure, these motivational phrases look great framed on your wall, but how can we actually make a living by doing something that fills our hearts with joy?
Well BossBabes, LISTEN UP because I’m going to share a few simple and actionable tips on how to get your dream job.
A few years ago, I vividly remember sitting at my unfulfilling desk job and calculating how many hours I had to work as a freelancer in order to make the same amount of income. My calculations told me I could work 70% less! From that moment on, I was determined to become my own boss (although now I never STOP working, but that’s a whole different post).
Fast forward 4 years and I’m a travelling freelance photographer and designer who works 100% remotely and calls the world my office.
Here are 5 tips to get you started on your path towards a career that you’ll never want to retire from:
1. Think about your dream job. What do you do in your free time? When your mind wanders where does it go? What are you doing when you truly feel like yourself? Now, think about your dream job and don’t tell anyone. Why? Because this is YOUR journey and no one else’s.
2. Write it down. You’ve mentally decided what your dream job is, now write it down. Then stick it up somewhere you’ll see it throughout the day – your bathroom mirror, fridge, desktop background, car, iPhone lock screen. Small steps lead to big achievements.
3. Find your mission. How will you help others? A successful, long-lasting, fulfilling and fun career is rooted in giving not taking. You’ll never work a day in your life if you devote yourself to helping others. Write down your mission and post it up beside your dream job note.
4. Make a hitlist. Dreaming is a huge part of goal setting. Make a list of companies and inspiring mentors you’d like to have in your network no matter their size or status. The sky’s not the limit, your mind is – so think BIG.
5. Fake it ’til you make it. Assign yourself fake projects and deadlines then share your “work” with friends, family and on social of course. Don’t forget to tag any related accounts because you never know who could be watching. They might even repost your photo or, even better, get in contact with you about working together.
Hungry for more? Here are 10 more effective steps in my free downloadable eBook. BONUS: It also includes 2 printable posters to post up and keep you on track.
So get out there, put the pedal to the metal and fearlessly manifest your dreams into reality as I leave you with the wise words of Rihanna: Work, work, work, work, work, work…